By now you have probably seen coconut oil used in a lot of low carb and paleo recipes, but did you know there are several other ways to use coconut oil? I love coconut oil because of the medium-chain fatty acids which are good for digestion and energy. Coconut oil is also great because it is stable at high heat which makes it perfect for sautéing and roasting. Be sure to check out why refined coconut oil is not the best choice. Judging by the list below, coconut oil will quickly become a versatile tool in your home.
In what ways do you use coconut oil? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. 🙂
10 Ways to Use Coconut Oil
- Make up Remover: Put coconut oil on a cotton swab and wipe off your makeup with the swab. Rinse your face as normal with face wash.
- Moisturizer: Whip coconut oil in an electric mixer and use it as a body moisturizer.
- Hair Conditioner: Use coconut oil to help clear up dandruff and use it a great deep conditioner. Massage coconut oil into your hair as a deep conditioning treatment.
- Toothpaste: Combine coconut oil, baking soda, essential oil (optional), and a touch of salt or sweetener and use daily for sparkling teeth.
- Homemade Vapor Rub: Feeling congested this cold season? Rub on some Homemade Vapor Rub.
- Reduce Inflammation and Joint Pain: Adding coconut oil to your diet and applying warm coconut oil to your aching joints could help reduce the pain caused by inflammation.
- Aid in Digestion: Suffer from gallbladder issues? Coconut oil is high in short and medium chain triglycerides which are easier to digest.
- Boosting your Thyroid: Suffering from hypothyroidism or decreased thyroid function? Adding 2-3 Tbsp of coconut oil to your diet could help boost your thyroid function.
- Rev up your metabolism: Coconut oil is great for the metabolism because it is digested quickly and sent to the liver for energy production instead of being stored as fat.