So apparently this week I am into portable ice cream treats. Did you see the Strawberry Ice Cream Pie ? These Ice Cream Sandwiches are the perfect vehicle for either Vanilla Ice Cream or if you’re daring Frozen Chocolate Custard. I have a confession though…..these beauties were supposed to be Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches. I had every intention of coloring the cookies with beet juice to give them the iconic red tint, but after adding what felt like a ton of beet juice they just never turned the red color I was hoping for. You can still add some beet juice just for the added nutrients, but don’t expect miracles on the color.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 large pastured eggs
- 1/4 cup equivalent sweetener (I used Swerve--Use honey for Paleo)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 batch vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl combine the coconut milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon juice
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Spoon or pipe 10 even cookie onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Spread vanilla ice cream onto the bottom of one cookie and top with another cookie.
- Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- Serve immediately or place in the freezer until ready to serve (thaw slightly before serving)
Net Carb Count*:
Ice Cream Sandwiches: 8.74 g net carbs for 1 ice cream sandwich (makes 5)
Total Carb Count: 14.98 g for 1 ice cream sandwich (add additional carbs for sweetener used)
*Note carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.
Looking for more grain free desserts? Check out this great e-book Indulge: 70 Grain Free Desserts which is 20% off right now.