Most of us easily cut out table sugar from our diets since it was so obvious to remove, but did you know there is hidden sugar in most packages foods. In a perfect world, we would make everything homemade and control every ingredient we use, but let’s be honest we’re all busy and life gets in the way sometimes…short cuts are necessary. It’s important to know which foods typically have hidden sugar so we can steer clear of these items and make good choices in the grocery store.
Other Names for Hidden Sugar or Sweeteners
It’s important to look for words ending in “ose,” like maltose or sucrose which are usually forms of added sugar.
- Agave Nector
- Evaporated cane juice
- Fruit juice concentrates
- Glucose Solids
- Golden Sugar
- Golden Syrup
- Grape Sugar
- Beet Sugar
- Invert corn syrup
- Malt syrup
- Maple syrup
- Rice syrup
Click Here to Pin It!
Food that Commonly Have Hidden Sugar
- Seasoning Packets (Taco, Ranch, Fajita, etc.)
- Sauce (Marinara, Taco, BBQ Sauce, Salad Dressings, etc.)
- Canned Meats, luncheon meat, bacon, and beef jerky
- Nut butters
- Low Fat Foods
- Tomato Products (ketchup, canned tomatoes, etc.)
- Pre-made salads…coleslaw, egg salad, tuna salad, etc.
- Protein Bars
- Coffee Drinks
- Dried Fruit