Wow, this week is flying by for me. I just got back on Sunday from Paleo f(x) in Austin, TX (there is a post coming on that soon) and this Saturday I leave for a work trip out of the country. What a whirlwind! Before I left for Paleo f(x) I decided to turn the classic flavors of Buckeye Balls (aka peanut butter and chocolate balls) and turn it into a cookie. Instead of peanut butter I used Almond Butter to keep it paleo, but the combination of almond butter and chocolate is just as good. You’ll love it, but feel free to use your favorite nut butter.
P.S. Happy Birthday to my twin brothers, Kevin and Kenny! I’ll have to make more of these cookies for their birthday.
Click Here to Pin It!
- 3 tbsp coconut flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup ghee or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (paleo) or Homemade Brown "Sugar" (low carb)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice or ACV
- 1/2 cup almond butter, softened (use any nut butter)
- 2 oz dairy free chocolate for paleo (or stevia sweetened chocolate for low carb)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl on medium speed, mix together the coconut oil and sweetener of choice.
- Add the eggs and mix to thoroughly incorporate.
- Add the vanilla and lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out the cookies onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet(s) leaving enough space between each cookie. (I did 8 cookies per pan--it makes 16 cookies).
- Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before frosting.
- Metled the chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler and whisk until smooth.
- Spread about about 2 tsp of almond butter on each cookie and drizzle with the melted chocolate.
Total Carbs: 4.95 g (for 1 cookie plus carbs for sweetener used)
Net Carbs: 1.8 g (for 1 cookie plus carbs for sweetener used)
DISCLAIMER: Not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. Always consult a doctor or authorize medical professional before changing your diet, medications, etc. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Some links on this site are affiliate links, including Amazon.com affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Holistically Engineered will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. I appreciate your support!