GIVEAWAY IS NOW OVER!!
I recently came across Swerve Sweetener and decided to give it a try. It can be difficult finding the right balance of sweetness with sugar substitutes. Often the final product is left with an aftertaste that makes most people run for the hills. Seeing things like “contains no artificial ingredients, preservatives, or flavors” and “Swerve tastes remarkably like sugar and has a clean, sweet taste” made me want to give Swerve a try. One dessert that I used to make all the time, especially for parties and pot luck dinners, was peanut butter bars. Peanut butter bars: a creamy layer of peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and powdered sugar topped with a decadent layer of chocolate and peanut butter. I knew this could easily be made into a delicious low carb treat, but I had to find the right powdered sweetener. Enter Swerve Confectioners Style Powdered Sugar Substitute. It was PERFECT for this recipe! The recipe can be found here: Low Carb Peanut Butter Bars.
I also wanted to try making Low Carb Coconut Macaroons with a caramel glaze and chocolate drizzle. The Swerve Sweetener Granular Sugar Substitute was a good fit for the Low Carb Coconut Macaroons with Caramel Glaze and Chocolate Drizzle.
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener Granular Sugar Substitute, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 Tbsp of powdered sugar substitute (I used Swerve)
- 1/4 cup of Swerve Sweetener Granulated Sugar Substitute
- 1 Tbsp of water
- 3 Tbsp of heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp butter
- Mix the cream, 4 Tbsp of sugar substitute, and vanilla extract. Add coconut and mix well. Let stand for 30 minutes to add moisture to the coconut.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Whip egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks are formed. While the mixture is running add , and 4 Tbsp of sugar substitute until blended. Fold in the almond flour and then the coconut. Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out the coconut mixture onto a greased cookie sheet (you may want to line the cookie sheet with parchment paper as well). Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool and drizzle with chocolate and caramel glaze.
- Chocolate Drizzle: Mix all the ingredients together and drizzle over cooled macaroon cookies. Place in the refrigerator to set the chocolate.
- Caramel Glaze: Combine the sugar and water in a sauce pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, let the mixture boil WITHOUT stirring until the mixture becomes a deep amber color (2-3 minutes). Be sure to watch closely so that the mixture does not burn. Add the cream (it will bubble) and whisk to combine. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and butter. Allow to cool slightly and drizzle on the coconut macaroons.
Net Carb Count*:
Coconut Macaroons: 27 net carbs (for the entire recipe-I made about 20 cookies)
Chocolate Drizzle: 3 net carbs (for the entire recipe)
Caramel Glaze: 1 net carb (for the entire recipe)
*Note carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts.
I was really happy with the results of using the Swerve Sweetener products and I am happy to announce that they are offering not one, but TWO prize packs for a giveaway. TWO lucky followers get to try out Swerve Sweetener for FREE! The prize packs consist of one bag of Swerve Sweetener Granular Sugar Substitute, one bag of Swerve Sweetener Confectioners Style Powdered Sugar Substitute, and a Baking Kit with various baking tools.
Here is how to enter:
Other options for additional entries (Be sure to comment below letting me know which options you have done):
- Follow Living Low Carb…One Day at a Time blog by signing up through “Join this site” with Google Friends Connect (right hand side under “FOLLOWERS”)
- Subscribe to the Living Low Carb…One Day at a Time blog by e-mail using the “FOLLOW BY EMAIL” feature (right hand side)
- “Share” this giveaway on Facebook using the share button below on this blog post OR share the facebook post about the giveaway.
- “Pin” or “Repin” this blog post on Pinterest
- Follow Living Low Carb…One Day at a Time on Pinterest
Contest ends April 21, 2012 at Midnight EDT.
The contest winners will be chosen at random and will be announced on April 22, 2012. So stay tuned! Once the winners have been announced they have 24 hours to contact lowcarboneday at gmail dot com with their shipping address. If I do not get a response in 24 hours I will select a new winner. Official entries for this giveaway will be recorded by commenting on this post. Even though, I love comments on Facebook and Pinterest they do not count as official entries*. Also, unfortunately shipping is limited to the United States, but stay tuned as I will have something for everyone coming up in the next few months.
*Some people had issues posting comments on the blog, so please comment on facebook if you are unable to on the blog.
GOOD LUCK!!!PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Some links on this site are affiliate links, including Amazon.com affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Holistically Engineered will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. I appreciate your support!