Whole 30 Italian Beef Sandwiches
For me, the cons were not really being able to go out to eat, because most restaurants do not use Whole30 approved cooking methods, which requires you to do some research with the restaurants ahead of time which isn’t always convenient. I sometimes felt my ingredients were limited because I also gave up nuts, eggs, and nightshades during the Whole30, but that did force me to be creative. I know I have food allergies, but I found it difficult to really narrow down what the allergies are so I’m going to continue to focus on that. For those of you who are considering the Whole30 program, I definitely recommend it. It is only 30 days and it can really help to reset your body after a long period of your usually low carb diet. If you are still unsure I would suggest reading It Starts With Food for more details on how foods affects your body.
Click Here to Pin It!
- 2 1/2 lbs grass fed beef chuck roast
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried crushed rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 large portobella mushroom caps
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine all the spices together and rub them onto the roast.
- Sear the roast on one side for 4-5 minutes. Flip the roast over and sear for another 4-5 minutes. . Place the roast into the slow cooker and add the water and red wine vinegar.
- Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the beef and shred the meat.
- Skim any fat off of the juice left in the crock pot and then add the Dijon mustard.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the shredded beef back to the crock pot and use portobella mushroom "buns" (Drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper and roasted for about 10 minutes at 450 F) for serving.
- Served with Roasted cauliflower, carrots, and zucchini.
Net Carb Count*: Whole30 Italian Beef "Sandwiches": 6 net carbs for beef and 16 net carbs for six mushrooms caps--a little over 7 net carbs per "sandwich"
*Note carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts.
This was adapted from The Foodie & The Family.