I like experimenting in the kitchen to make low carb and paleo dishes, so when I had a request for low carb Bread and Butter Pickles I was happy to give it a try. I have to be honest though, even before my low carb days I don’t think I have ever actually tried Bread and Butter Pickles. So even though I was going down an unfamiliar road, I decided to give the recipe a shot because I love pickles and I figured it would be a great way to use up the cucumbers from my CSA. In order to come up with a delicious low carb recipe I first had to do a little research and find out what was actually in Bread and Butter Pickles. So after some digging, I realized that traditional recipes actually have a lot of sugar in them….ah ha….that’s why I needed to make a low carb version. Happy to help, I threw together this delicious recipe. I loved the pickles, but please do tell me if I’ve missed the mark somehow and these pickles don’t end up tasting just like you remember them.
- 5 cups (1 1/2 pounds) thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Celtic sea salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 3/4 cup granular Swerve or equivalent sweetener
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Combine cucumbers and salt in a large bowl and let sit for 1 hour.
- Transfer the cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water.
- Drain well, and return cucumbers to the bowl.
- Add the onions.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine sweetener, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and remaining ingredients, stir until the sweetener dissolves.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over cucumber and onions.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Pour into mason jars and refrigerate for about 24 hours (though I started eating after a few hours).
Net Carb Count*: Bread and Butter Pickles: 2.5 net carbs for one 1/4 cup serving (makes about 4 cups) *Note carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.
Click +1 Below:
This content will be shown after all post