I’m always trying to come up with different side dishes to go along with dinner. One of my favorite things to do is to take a regular dish that’s not low carb or paleo and turn it into a dish I can actually eat. The other week I saw a recipe on TV for a broccoli and rice casserole. It was filled with rice and dairy, so of course I had to try my hand at a dairy free and grain free version. I loved the results of using homemade almond “cream cheese” and cauliflower rice.
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 6 Tbsp dairy free "cream cheese" made from almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Combine the broccoli and cauliflower rice. Steam until just tender (use your preferred method).
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine the almond cream, coconut milk, and 2 Tbsp of nutritional yeast and heat slightly until everything is combine.
- Remove from heat, add the egg and mix to combine.
- Add the sauce mixture to the broccoli and cauliflower. Stir to combine and then pour into a loaf pan.
- Top with the remaining nutritional yeast and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Net Carb Count*: 8.95 g net carbs (for 1 serving) makes 4
Total Carb Count: 16 g total carbs (for 1 serving) makes 4
*Note net carb count = Total carbs - fiber. Carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.
Click +1 Below:
This content will be shown after all post