I recently had a request for a grain free version of the no bake haystack cookies that are usually made with oats. My first thought was that coconut would be a great substitute for the oats. I decided to use a combination of the shredded coconut and the flakes to give it more of the correct texture. I’m a big fan of no bake cookies, especially around the holidays, since it’s a big time saver. No need to watch the oven to make sure they don’t burn.
These are great for holiday cookie exchanges or parties!
Click Here to Pin It!
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate
- 8 Tbsp grassfed butter (or coconut oil)
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of Real salt
- Optional--1/4 cup powdered sweetener (or 2 Tbsp honey for Paleo)
- 2 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- 3 1/2 cups finely shredded coconut
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, combine the dark chocolate, butter, almond butter. Cook until melted and thoroughly combine.
- Add the coconut milk, vanilla, salt, and sweetener and stir to combine.
- Add the coconut flakes and shredded coconut to a large bowl and pour the chocolate mixture over the coconut. Stir to incorporate.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out the mixture onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Refrigerate until hardened.
Net Carb Count*: 2.54 g net carbs (for 1 cookie - Plus the carbs for the sweetener.)--makes 28 cookies
Total Carb Count: 5.31 g total carbs (for 1 cookie - Plus the carbs for the sweetener.)
*Note net carb count = Total carbs - fiber. Carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.
Check out the VGN Marketplace for Coconut Oil, Coconut Flour, Almond Butter, eBooks and so much more!