One of my all time favorite desserts around the holidays is Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow. If you’re not familiar with Muddy Buddies/Puppy Chow it’s a recipe that covers Chex Cereal with cocolate and peanut butter and then coats it in powdered sugar. Of course I needed to lower the carbs on this holiday treat. Last year I made a version that used almonds, but this year I wanted to use my latest obsession, toasted coconut, instead.
A word of warning, these are addictive! This has quickly turned into my go-to holiday recipe!
Click Here to Pin It!
- 4 cups toasted coconut flakes (See the method I used here)
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered sweetener (For paleo use powdered coconut sugar)
- In a sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt chocolate, almond butter, and butter.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the toasted coconut and stir to coat.
- Pour into a resealable bag and add powdered sweetener. Shake to coat.
- Spread onto parchment paper to cool.
Net Carb Count*: 2.40 g net carbs (for 1/4 cup)--makes 4 cups
Total Carb Count: 5.64 g total carbs (for 1/4 cup, plus the carbs for the sweetener)
*Note net carb count = Total carbs - fiber. Carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.
Check out the VGN Marketplace for Coconut Oil, Coconut Flour, Almond Butter, eBooks and so much more!