Today’s recipe is Butternut Squash Breakfast Skillet, which is perfect for breakfast. You may know that I don’t eat eggs for breakfast and I have two reasons for that. First, I don’t know if I’m allergic to them or what, but we just don’t get along. I can usually handle them in baked goods, but for some reason not on their own. The second reason is that I’ve just never really liked the taste of eggs. So naturally when I first went low carb it was a challenge because I used to eat pancakes, waffles, cereal, etc. for breakfast and the typical low carb breakfast is filled with eggs. I had to get a little creative with my meals and get used to the idea of breaking the “breakfast mold.” Now my breakfasts are filled with a delicious protein, like homemade sausage, and lots of veggies. It’s the perfect way to start the day!
- 12 oz butternut squash, peeled and diced into ½” cubes (I used pre-cut squash)
- 1 Tbsp oil of choice
- 1 lb homemade breakfast sausage
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ cup water
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of oil over medium-high heat
- Add the butternut squash and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water, cover the pan loosely, and cook for 4 minutes or until the water has absorbed and the squash is tender.
- Push the squash to the sides of the pan.
- Add the sausage in the middle of the pan and begin to brown (do not mix with the squash until cooked)
- Once the sausage has cooked through, mix it with the squash and add the seasonings.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to heat through.
Net Carb Count*: Butternut Squash Breakfast Skillet: 35 net carbs (for the entire recipe--serves 4)
*Note carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.
Click +1 Below:
DISCLAIMER: Not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. Always consult a doctor or authorize medical professional before changing your diet, medications, etc. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Some links on this site are affiliate links, including Amazon.com affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Holistically Engineered will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. I appreciate your support!