Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Filling (Low Carb and Paleo Friendly)

chocolate cupcakes_f

Who doesn’t love a good chocolate cupcake?  Since tomorrow is my birthday I wanted to make a very special paleo chocolate cupcake to celebrate. Chocolate is my absolute favorite and naturally  I used it for my birthday treat.  These Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes are also filled with a coconut cream filling, made from the cream that rises to the top of a can of coconut milk.  The filling completely optional and you could probably fill them with other things like a homemade jam or almond butter.  Man, now I’m wishing I would have tried other fillings.  The frosting is made with avocados and I usually get comments from people that think I’m crazy for using avocado in desserts, but trust me, the frosting doesn’t taste like avocado.  The avocado adds a creaminess and sweetness to the frosting which pairs perfectly with the cocoa powder.  If you make your frosting smooth enough you will never know what it’s made from.  If your avocados aren’t ripe enough you may have to run them through a fine metal strainer to work out any chunks.

Next time you have a birthday celebration these Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes will make a great addition to the party!

paleo chocolate cupcakes

Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 F
  2. Combine the coconut flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, baking soda, and sea salt.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, coconut oil, and lemon juice.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine.
  5. Line a muffin tin with 7 cupcake liners.
  6. Fill cupcake liners evenly with the batter and bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until cooked through.
  7. Allow to cool before filling with cream and topping with the icing.
  8. Once cool, cut a small whole in the middle of each cupcake, reserving the lid/top of the hole that was cut out.
  9. Fill with cream (directions below) and place the lid/top back on the cupcake to cover the hole.
  10. Pipe chocolate frosting (directions below) onto each cupcake and serve.
  11. For the cream filling
  12. Combine the coconut cream, sweetener, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Pipe the cream into the hole cut out of the cupcake.
  13. For the chocolate frosting
  14. Place the meat of the avocados in a mixer and mix until completely smooth.
  15. Add the cocoa powder and sweetener and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
  16. Add the butter and mix to combine.

Notes

Net Carb Count*: Chocolate Cupcakess: 7.14 net carbs for 1 cupcake (makes 7 cupcakes) or 5 net carbs without the cream filling

Total Carb Count for 1 cupcake: 17.04 carbs (add additional carbs for the sweetener used)

*Note carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.

Click +1 Below:

Opt In Image
DISCLAIMER: Not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. Always consult a doctor or authorize medical professional before changing your diet, medications, etc. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Some links on this site are affiliate links, including Amazon.com affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Holistically Engineered will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. I appreciate your support!

You May Also Like:

Comments

1. gina says

Happy Birthday a day early!! I hope you have an amazingly wonderful day! These cupcakes sound phenomenal, I cant wait to make them. The avocado frosting does sound a little whacky, but I really love avocados, so I will give it a shot at some point.

2. RigelDog says

These cupcakes sound amazing. I was wondering what you mean by very ripe avocados—ripe as in brown flesh? They go from ripe and still green to ripe and brown quickly.

• Karen LowCarbOneDay says

I buy the Haas avocados which already have the brown flesh, but you want them to be mushy enough so that they make a smooth frosting.

3. Missina says

I just tried these (minus the filling cuz I was too lazy to do that), and they are delicious. I was a little surprised though when I got to the part where it said it only makes 7 cupcakes! Boo. I should have doubled the recipe, however, 8 eggs for one batch of cupcakes is expensive. :) Is there anything I could substitute to replace the bulk of some of those eggs, or does it really need them specifically to hold it together? I have seen chocolate cake recipes with grated beets. Could that act as some filler? Or will they just fall apart without the eggs?

4. RigelDog says

I would like to try the avocado frosting; I can imagine how a really creamy avocado will mimic a heavy frosting. I am wondering about the ripeness, like the commenter above. How brown they should be, and also thinking that I normally think that brown avocados usually taste yucky?

5. Jennifer B.T. says

Can you make your own coconut flour? I’ve got “Let’s Do Organic coconut flakes, unsweetened” at home. What if I put that in the vitamix? Would I make coconut flour? Just wondering.
    Thanks for the great looking recipe. Will have to try this weekend.
    Many blessings.

• Karen LowCarbOneDay says

I’m pretty sure you have to dry out the coconut first at a low temp, but I haven’t tried it yet

6. sandra says

Hey, instead of lemon juice, what would you recommend? I am citric intolerant. Is it possible to try it without the lemon juice?

7. Leah says

I just made these! I haven’t tried them yet, but my very picky, real food hating, cupcake conisseur sister loved them! If it weren’t for my flu I would have scarfed them all down already!!

8. Jenn says

Read somewhere that you might be able to sub some of the eggs for applesauce or bananas since both help keep baked good moist and are pretty flavor neutral??

• Karen LowCarbOneDay says

It doesn’t always work, but yes 1/4 cup of fruit puree usually replaces 1 egg. Coconut flour can be finicky though.