Last week I picked up my usual bag of veggies and as I was driving home I could smell the sweet scent of cantaloupe. In addition to my veggies, I had gotten a perfectly ripe cantaloupe in my CSA bag and I knew I had to use it right away. I had made cantaloupe sorbet before which is pretty easy, but this time I wanted to make something a little different. I came across this Cantaloupe Custard from good ole Martha and I figured I could make a Paleo version pretty easily.
The cantaloupe was so ripe that I didn’t even need to add any extra sweetener to it. A perfect, no bake summer dessert!
Click Here to Pin It!
- 1 medium cantaloupe, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 heaping tablespoon of grassfed gelatin
- Juice of 1 Lemon (or 1 drop of Young Living Essential Oil--learn where to buy therapeutic grade essential oils)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, divided
- (Optional) 1 Tbsp honey, sweeten to taste
- Place the cantaloupe in the bowl of a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain the cantaloupe puree through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl (preferably one with a pour spout)
- Pour 1/2 cup of the cantaloupe puree into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice or YL Lemon Essential Oil to the large bowl with the remaining cantaloupe puree and stir to combine.
- Heat the coconut milk and honey (if using) over medium heat and add the cantaloupe/gelatin mixture and whisk until the gelatin has dissolved.
- Add the coconut milk mixture to the cantaloupe puree and whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into 6-8 (depending on size) ramekins and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours - overnight.
- To unmold, run a small knife around the edges of the ramekin and turn the ramekin onto a serving plate. Shake the ramekin to release the custard. If the custard still won't come out, run hot water on the bottom of the ramekin for 3-5 seconds (carefully not to get water on the custard) and then invert onto a plate.
Click +1 Below:
DISCLAIMER: Not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. Always consult a doctor or authorize medical professional before changing your diet, medications, etc. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Some links on this site are affiliate links, including Amazon.com affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Holistically Engineered will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. I appreciate your support!