Cinco de Mayo is almost here and usually that means lots of parties with Mexican dishes filled with carbs and grains. Luckily for us, now that we have Homemade Taco Seasoning and Homemade Taco Sauce we can enjoy Cinco de Mayo with tasty low carb and Paleo dishes. These Chicken Fajita Rolls would make a great Cinco de Mayo dish. The version pictured here is dairy free, but if you eat dairy then a sprinkle of cheese on top would make a great addition. Now all you need is a fresh low carb margarita to go with it. 🙂
- 1 eggplant
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups Homemade Taco Sauce, divided
- 1 small onion, cut into strips and sauteed
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips and sauteed
- Shredded cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Cut the eggplant into strips 1/4" thick (I used the smallest thickness of my mandolin).
- Sprinkle the eggplant strips with salt and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil over medium-high heat and cook the eggplant for 2-3 minutes per side and lay out on paper towel to drain.
- Mix the chicken, onions, and green peppers with 3/4 cup of taco sauce.
- Place a spoonful of chicken mixture onto one end of an eggplant strip and roll the eggplant from one end to the other.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant strips.
- Place the rolled eggplant in a casserole dish and top with 3/4 cup of taco sauce.
- (Optional) Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Net Carb Count*:
Chicken Fajita Rolls: 8.28 net carbs (per serving--serves 4)
*Note carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.