Zucchini is starting to show up in my CSA each week and although it’s one of my favorite vegetables I wanted to use it in a sweet recipe. As you may know, I’ve been trying to implement a low histamine diet (in addition to my usual low carb paleo diet). So what’s the hardest part of a low histamine diet? Not being able to eat chocolate! It’s been so hard for me to give up chocolate. So I ended up “testing” chocolate by making these Glazed Chocolate Zucchini Muffins to see if I react to chocolate. The good news is that these muffins are so good! The bad news is that I seem to react to chocolate and it aggravates my Rosacea and makes my eyes itchy.
*Sigh* So it’s back to no chocolate for me, but you get to enjoy these muffins. 🙂
Click Here to Pin It!
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, softened
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or Swerve for low carb)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup powdered* coconut sugar (or Confectioner's Swerve for low carb)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add the butter/coconut oil and sweetener to the bowl of a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the eggs and mix to combine.
- Add the zucchini, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar and mix to incorporate.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to incorporate.
- Line a muffin tin with 10 liners. Using a jumbo scoop, scoop the mixture evenly into the liners.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before topping with the glaze.
- Combine the sweetener (*it needs to be powdered--i.e. run granular sweetener through a coffee/spice grinder or high speed blender) with the coconut milk or cream and spoon the glaze over the top of cooled muffins.